Followers

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Tourist Tat!

Today's blog is inspired by this article in The Guardian today.

There are few certainties in life, but here is one. Where ever you may roam, from Paris to deepest, darkest Peru, there is sure to be a souvenir shop by the exit. South America probably has the monopoly on cheesy, shining Jesus paintings, sculptures and key-rings, whilst Africa has no end of masks, drums and wood carvings.

Over the years, I have inflicted a fair few little treasures on my nearest and dearest. Sometimes, I have to confess, it is fun to buy a present purely to watch the receiver's look of confusion, laughter or fake appreciation.

My favourite tacky present of all?

An 'up the revolution, Che Guevara Communist' baseball cap from Cuba for my Gran!

What is YOUR favourite tacky souvenir?



No comments: