Followers

Tuesday 20 April 2010

Volcanoes and the post

Birthdays often make you think of family and friends at home, and what better way is there to be reminded of loved ones, than with a special letter or parcel? The internet is all very well, but it doesn't quite have to same effect as a handwritten message in a specially chosen card. Having finally persuaded my mum to post me a card and some goodies (she hasn't had much luck with the post in the past, although I think she must have upset somebody in the local Post Office at some point, as other people have posted me some treats and not had such trouble), I eagerly awaited the promised card and goodies from England. I am told that she popped the package in the post on Wednesday and that all being well, it should arrive by ... well ... May would be great and not too optimistic! Then what should happen? This blasted volcano erupts and spews copious amounts of ash all over Europe, grinding all flights to a halt. So where on earth, I wonder, could my parcel be? Has it left England yet? Is it lost in transit, or will the some corrupt folk working for the postal services treat the whole thing as a great excuse to pilfer all the goodies that are supposed to be winging their way to people across the world? Will my mum ever trust the post ever again? I highly doubt it!

On the other hand, when I looked at my Facebook page at the end of the day, I was delighted to see messages from old and new friends far and wide. I actually realised that I have messages from people literally all over the world - covering all of the continents. I am literally only missing friends in Antarctica! So although it isn't quite the same as a real letter, we are lucky to be able to stay connected to friends and families across the miles.

No comments: