Followers

Tuesday 3 April 2012

A sour ending to a fun weekend

The weekend adventures and mishaps did not end with the broken down vehicles. On our way back, around an hour or so outside of Kampala, we had quite a disturbing experience.
To be honest, I was dosing at the time, so I'm not sure how accurate my synopsis is, but the others have filled in all the details for me. A car overtook us and I heard my friend who was driving shout 'oh my god'. The car in front of us had hit a guy who appeared from nowhere and jumped out in front of their car. I'm glad I didn't see the details, otherwise it would have been even more unnerving. We pulled over and so did the car in front. A couple of very shaken looking muzungus emerged from the car.
Many people say that if you hit somebody in the car here, you should just drive on. Mob justice often prevails here and tempers flare rapidly when a friend or family member has been injured. But in all honesty, who has it in them to do that? I once bumped my car on the M25 and there were no injuries, only my little Fiesta came to any harm, but I was very shaken all the same. I just had to stop. It's human nature. If you don't stop, how can you live with your conscience?
We had a little dilemma in our car. Should we get involved and try to help? But if we all got out, then we would risk aggravating the situation more. Besides which, it is always better to try to avoid getting implicated in anything that may involve a court case here.
The police arrived and miraculously an ambulance arrived within ten minutes. This was the best looking ambulance I have ever seen in Uganda. We have since heard that the man was not too badly injured and that he is recovering well. We also heard that he was very drunk and that the police were quite sympathetic. This is comforting compared to all of the horror stories that circulate.
However, the whole event made me think how we take our lives in our hands on a daily basis here. We may have camped in a national park, surrounded by hippos, lions and elephants but the real risks here in Uganda are much more mundane. If the man had run out five seconds afterwards, then our car would have hit him. It could happen to any of us and it is probably the worst nightmare for all of us.

No comments: