Followers

Monday 8 August 2011

You know you're back in Uganda when ...


  1. The guard greets you on arrival back home and helpfully carries your heavy suitcases up 6 flights of stairs.
  2. Cash not cards - no more chip and pinning for a while!
  3. You invest in a serious amount of candles in preparation for the power cuts that are planned to take place every other day until the water levels rise in the Nile so that enough electricity can be generated to meet demand.
  4. The house is spotlessly clean when you get home from work because the magic washing up and cleaning fairy has been in.
  5. You are told that you are looking very fat by a colleague - and this is meant to be a compliment. So glad I bothered to run 4 times a week throughout the holiday ...
  6. You don't recall adding black pepper to your meal ... then realise that's because weevils took residence in your bag of opened pasta during the holidays.
  7. It takes over half an hour to drive a 500 metre stretch of road to the shopping centre.
  8. The shower of rain at lunchtime is so heavy that 5 colleagues prefer to stay squished inside a tiny Rav 4 rather than risk a soaking.
  9. You have to slam on the brakes whilst driving on a roundabout.
  10. The screech of seagulls has been replaced by the incessant howling of dogs and the cacophonous caw of hornbills!
Oh Uganda!

4 comments:

3limes said...

Love it Ali, you have nearly made me homesick! And in case you think I have fallen off the face of the earth, I do promise to resume normal blogging practices soon. Take care over there!

Anonymous said...

Love it Ali, you have nearly made me homesick! And in case you think I have fallen off the face of the earth, I do promise to resume normal blogging practices soon. Take care over there!

alibongo1978 said...

Well I can't wait to hear about your new life in Bahrain - we can only dream of the shiny shopping malls here! Hope you're settling in well. x

Anonymous said...

Hi Ali,

I just found your travel blog and I really like how you described your travels around Uganda with assertive comments!

I manage TravelerVoice (www.travelervoice.com) a social network for travel bloggers and readers and your blog is exactly the kind of writing we are looking for our Living abroad section, please feel free to register .
This way my users could access your blog, and you would have more readers as they would be automatically redirected to your site.

In the meantime I am running a contest to reward the most outstanding travel blogs on the web and I am still looking for new members so please check it out at http://www.travelervoice.com/contest.aspx for further details.

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

Erika.