Followers

Thursday 1 September 2011

Arty farty

Many of you will have heard this story before, so I do apologise for repeating myself, but I was reminded of it again tonight.

Soon after arriving in Colombia, a group of us travelled to the quaint colonial town of Villa de Leyva. It was a beautiful day in the land of eternal spring, and we sat in a sunny courtyard drinking wine with our lunch. Inevitably, the first bottle soon ran out and was replaced with a second, a third and who knows how many more.

As the sun set, we decided that we really ought to move, if only to browse the small craft shops in the courtyard. Bolstered with the false confidence that only 6 glasses of Chilean red can give you, I decided to try out my new acquired Spanish with a few of the locals. So proud of myself was I for conversing about art in a foreign language, that I decided to purchase a painting.

I still have it now ... and let's just say that you should never buy art under the influence of alcohol!

Tonight, at a fundraising art show, I was in no such danger. I wonder if anybody has red-stickered the $1200 on the painting of a gorilla playing the flute!



No comments: