Followers

Saturday 17 September 2011

A Meeting with Royalty



This evening I was privileged enough to be invited to a reception at the British High Commission for the visit to Uganda of HRH the Earl of Wessex - otherwise known as Prince Edward!

This is not a normal occurrence for a humble Primary school teacher! I had expected him to walk past us, or perhaps to shake his hand. In actual fact, it was a lovely, relaxed (well the guests were quite relaxed - I'm sure those working for the BHC must have felt under a little pressure, but everything was very smooth and no stress showed) gathering in the garden. I discovered that they really DO drink Pimms at posh functions - I thought it was just a clever marketing tool! He walked around the garden and chatted to people throughout the evening.

Now I can't imagine what it must be like to be a member of the Royal Family. You must have to get used to lots of nervous giggling, whispering and people saying really daft things. The all must think that the British public are like a group of mischievous Year 3 girls!

When my moment came, I managed to keep it together very well! I curtsied, shook his hand and said:
"Good evening, Your Highness," as advised.  He asked what I did and where else I had lived in such a friendly and genuine manner that I was immediately put at ease. I think I may have sounded a little ridiculous when I declared that 'International teaching is all about networking' ... erm yeah well done Crosbie for telling a member of the royal family how it all works - doh! I may have sounded quite confident, but let me tell you, my hand was shaking afterwards!

Well, that's enough excitement for one day I think!  Now I'm sitting at home in my pajamas, drinking a glass of Ribena the whole experience seems a bit like a dream. My strangely surreal weekend continues tomorrow with a 45 km bike ride, so I must get some rest! I'm still grinning like a Cheshire cat though!

No comments: