Followers

Friday 9 September 2011

Wartime Memories

One of my favourite things about international teaching is the mix of children in our classes. We have practically the whole world under one roof!

At the moment, my class is learning about the Second World War. I asked the children to find out about their family histories. Unfortunately, not everybody was able to do so as the war fades out of living memory and deeper into the history books. If only I had listened a little more closely to those stories that my grandparents repeated at what seemed like every family gathering!

The stories from my class are just fascinating. One boy's great aunt was part of the French Resistance and even helped shelter Jews, escaping persecution. The same boy's grandfather was very young during the war, but remembers having to flee Rouen to the countryside to escape the heavy bombing

The most amazing coincidence is that one boy's great grandfather was in the RAF and stationed at RAF Squires Gate (now Blackpool Airport). He worked on plane maintenance - perhaps the same Wellington Bombers my Granny worked on at a site just down the road! They lived near Stanley Park and his grandad remembers meeting lots of Prisoners of War - now I always thought that Pontins was a POW camp, but perhaps I'm wrong!

There are many more stories, but it would take too long to talk about them all.



Take a look at the little movie I made for my assembly. Some of the pictures are the actual photos of the children's grandparents (and my Grandad), but I used images from the Internet where the originals couldn't be found. I'm pretty impressed that anybody old enough to have fought in the war knows how to scan and upload a photo to email - but I guess they were quite a resourceful generation!

1 comment: