Followers

Wednesday 2 March 2011

What I saw on safari!

Up until now, my safari experiences have all been in Uganda. Here, safari is peaceful and you can get close to nature, often without encountering another car for several hours. Many of the visitors to the National Parks here are working in the country, and they show off the country to their visiting friends and family. In Tanzania, however, safari is a big business.
As soon as I passed through the gates of Lake Manyara, I knew this was going to be a somewhat different experience. For starters, the loos were fully flushable, complete with liquid soap and hand dryers. There was a plush gift shop, selling everything from cans of coca-cola to fluffy toy lions. I was most fascinated by some of the creatures we spotted within the park - a totally different species of tourist to those found in Uganda.
What is the purpose of the face mask and why do people feel it necessary to wear matching khaki? I am not kidding when I tell you that I actually saw somebody wearing a 'Dr Livingstone, I presume' style pith helmet!

Multi-functional belt

What are you afraid of?

Full safari suit plus paparazzi lens

Matching hats

Is this a traffic jam on the M25? Oh no - there's a lion in the distance

Be careful - those animals may steal your bag

Can anyone explain the gloves?

9 out of 10 Ugandans would have something to say about the size of this arse!

 In short, I enjoyed the safari and spotting the Big Five, but came away with a new found appreciation for the tranquility of a safari in Uganda.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my... you are so funny. And I agree, the great thing about Uganda is being alone with the animals. These people are all dressed up for the animals! Hilarious!

alibongo1978 said...

We were slightly hysterical at the sight of these people. Tiff was going nuts incase my camera ran out of battery before I took any photos of animals!
Photographing people did backfire on us though when people took photos of us knocking back Kili beer at 10am!!

Robyn said...

Eek, puts you off safari...but a great advertisement for safari in Uganda !