Followers

Sunday 6 March 2011

Shhhhhh - it's a silent disco!

This weekend, I attended my first ever silent disco. I have to say I was a little dubious. The idea of dancing in a room with headphones on seemed a little strange. We went for pre-disco cocktails in the bar next door and wondered how we could tell whether the event had actually started ...
When we arrived, we were issued with a set of headphones and told that we could choose between House and chart music on station A and R & B on station B. We quickly invented hand signals to show which station we were listening to. It was easy to guess what people were listening to just from looking at their dance moves - so while we were waving our hands in the air to dance tunes, others were bumping and grinding to R & B music! The djs seemed to be having a great time, watching to see who was listening to their station and competing to see who could get the most listeners. I feel very sorry for the bar staff, who had to listen to people singing along to the music, as not even the best singers sing in tune when they have headphones on and can't actually hear their own voices!
I actually think that silent discos should be encouraged in Uganda. I could start with marketing the idea to the nightclub behind my apartment block that is currently blasting out music on a Sunday night, when I am trying to get an early night!

No comments: