Followers

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Must try harder ...

Right now we're right in the middle of reports, so as usual, I find anything I can to distract myself. It's funny how I can churn out endless amounts of rambling on my blog, but when it come to reports I am totally uninspired.
Maybe if we could write what we're really thinking it would be more fun! Today I read the opening chapter of Matilda with a boy. Here are some of Roald Dahl's report comments:

The periodical cicada spends six years as a grub underground, and no more than six days as a free creature of sunlight and air. Your son Wilfred has spent six years in this school and we are still waiting for him to emerge from the chrysalis.

Or how about ...?

Fiona has the same glacial beauty as an iceberg, but unlike the iceberg she has absolutely nothing below the surface.

Pure brilliance from Mr Dahl, proving that the best children's writers entertain the grown ups as much as the kids.

I was trawling through the Literacy books this afternoon and came across a couple of little gems I will share with you. We have been learning about persuasive writing and discursive writing recently. Here are a couple of the kids' arguments in favour of wearing school uniform:

More Money

Getting uniform would mean teachers get paid more salary and that would make the teachers stay instead of leaving.

Really? Well all of my class are wearing full uniform - I await my bonus!

Here's the next one:
Uniforms have been used for generations by police, school children and security guards. So before you vote 'no uniform' think - policemen look cool!

Glad we've got that one straight then. I wonder whether he was talking about police in full riot gear or the crisp white uniform with matching gloves worn by the Ugandan traffic police!

No comments: