Followers

Saturday 26 March 2011

Switch yourself on and ignore that Earth Hour nonsense ...

Today I received multiple invitations to attend 'Earth Hour', which is apparently a great opportunity to save the planet by switching off the lights for an hour. Well excuse me if I do not jump up and down with enthusiasm, but I have had about ten involuntary 'earth hours' already this month. In fact, I went a little bit further and did without power to keep the fridge and freezer running and ate cereal and an apple for dinner in the dark because of the endless bloody power cuts. 
It's not that I really want the earth's resources to run out, it's just that I don't think that gimmicks like this have any effect whatsoever. How many of the supporters would be willing to do without electricity for any real length of time? I bet that half of the people who agreed to it on the Facebook campaign don't even remember or bother. And just who should and should not participate in Earth Hour? I don't have a problem with the Eiffel Tower doing without lights for an hour, but I wouldn't like my local hospital to be left in the dark. Especially if I had an Earth Hour related injury, like falling down the stairs in the dark or slipping on a tile floor and impaling myself on a very sharp metal candle-stick.  Presumably the flashy website was all produced by a dynamo with a hamster running on a wheel. Oh no - that would get the animal rights lobby making a campaign. Wouldn't it be better to leave the lights on so that the scientists can work on finding a viable alternative to fossil fuels?
In Uganda, solar energy is slowly starting to be used more extensively. I would happily offer my support for this cause as it has many advantages, beyond the environmental ones. Once the equipment has been installed, you have a source of free energy. With a guaranteed strong light source, students can complete their homework without damaging their eyesight. Small businesses can run more effectively - who wants to go shopping in the dark? Solar energy is also cleaner and safer than the kerosene lamps that are used throughout Uganda when the power goes out - there is no danger of them being tipped over and causing a fire that can endanger the lives of everyone in the household and destroy all of their possessions. Furthermore, solar power doesn't have to be connected to the main grid, so it can be used in the most remote of locations.
Let's face it - electricity has brightened up all of our lives. My lights will most definitely be 'on' at 8.30pm tonight!

No comments: