Followers

Wednesday 25 January 2012

Teacher Idol ... The Job Fair!

Exciting news ... Ali's Adventures will soon be coming from a new location - Singapore!

I am currently in post job fair recovery, after an incredibly hectic and stressful weekend. I know I got to enjoy a few more bites of Cadbury's and caught up with a couple of friends, but this was no holiday.

For those of you who have never experienced a job fair, it is some kind of cross between a cattle market, speed dating and X-Factor auditions. At sign-up, armed with only a CV, you have approximately 2 minutes to wow the recruiters and convince them to give you an interview. I'm an old fashioned kind of girl - I thought a CV was the way to get you noticed. Clearly, it had never occurred to me to go to the extent of designing personalised chocolate bars, with my own logo and a brief resume on the wrapper. The sour aroma of BS still lingers ...In my view, there were far too many candidates and not enough positions. Being told that there was a 40-60% of walking away from the fair with a job made my heart simultaneously sink and panic.

Once the interviews start, it's an emotional roller-coaster.Painting on the smile for an interview after you've just had a rejection is NOT easy! I nearly went to the pub instead of the final interview, having convinced myself that all the jobs had been given away! What a good job I didn't!

So soon it will be farewell to potholes and power cuts and hello to more sunshine, shops and  Singapore life!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

the thought of it makes me sick-so you did so well surviving it all ...AND getting a job! well done...! I have also thought about singapore...coool!