Followers

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Cutting For Stone

This is my first post of 2012 - so if it's not too late to say so, Happy New Year! I decided to take a little holiday from blogging when I was on home shores, so I think my writing has got a little rusty.

Yesterday, we had our first book club of the new year to discuss 'Cutting for Stone' by Abraham Verghese. It was a feast for our bellies as well as our minds as we tucked into some Eritrean food, that was kindly prepared by one of the generous mums from my class. She explained what all the food was ... then I lost the bit of paper, so you'll just have to look at the pictures ...




According to the book:

The mark of a native is that your fingers are never stained by the curry; you use the injera as your tongs, as a barrier, while you pick up a piece of chicken or beef sopped in the sauce.

We ate like ferenjis!

Now I thought we had made an effort by organising to have some traditional food from the region. It would seem not though, when you compare to this website that I found when I googled some book club ideas. Most disturbing is the fact that this woman decided to recreate the amputated finger in a jar for her party. Some people have too much time on their hands!

For the record - I highly recommend the book (but won't give any more away now)!

No comments: