Followers

Sunday 2 October 2011

Guilty Pleasures

We all have our little guilty pleasures. The things we secretly like, but don't want to admit to doing. Here are a few of my current guilty pleasures:

Footballers Wives
I never would have stooped to watching this when I lived in the UK, but when I saw it on sale at Papa's Corner in Kisementi (my regular dodgy DVD haunt) I could not resist the temptation. Fake nails, fake blondes, affairs, kidnappings, Chardonnay's boobs being accidentally set on fire, lots of gratuitous scenes of blokes' bare bottoms in the shower ... what's not to like? I have to say I was a little mortified when I spotted one of the wives driving a blue Rav 4 though - but I suspect hers had fewer bumps and was a newer model than ancient old Matilda (1994 edition!)

Radio 4 on the i-player
I figured I needed something to counterbalance the trash that is Footballers Wives! Now please don't imagine that I am listening to the Archers, but I do enjoy the News Quiz and a few of the comedy shows. People complain about the standard of UK television these days, but I do miss the sarcastic humour of programmes like Have I Got News For You and so forth. I have to say that I was surprised by the squeakiness of Charlie Brooker's voice though - I did not expect somebody who writes such an acerbic column eac to be so high pitched.

Roses
Not the chocolates, but the flowers. 2 dozen roses of any colour you may choose for 5000 UGX or just over £1 (and they have just nearly doubled in price). An innocent enough pleasure you would imagine, but I am aware that some of the working conditions in the rose farms are appalling. I have heard stories of them spraying the fields with pesticide whilst people are working. I really shouldn't support this by buying them. However, how do you know that the working conditions are any better when you pay £15 for the same bunch of flowers in the UK. It doesn't justify my buying of the flowers though ...

Galaxy Caramel
This time it is chocolate. I first spotted it on a supermarket shelf in Kampala back around May. I thought it was a rare treat, so I immediately bought a bar. Suddenly it was everywhere and it tasted like real, creamy Galaxy, nothing like the Dairy Milk that always tastes strangely waxy here.  Then it disappeared completely for a while. It's back now, so it's OK to eat as much as I can while it lasts, right?

Driving to work
I live less than a kilometre away from school and yet I still get in the car each morning. It's both lazy and bad for the environment. So why do I do it? Well, I really don't relish the idea of being knee high in mud, falling down a pothole or being knocked down into a storm drain by a careless driver. Give me a safe pavement and I will happily walk.

No comments: