Followers

Sunday 29 May 2011

Warning: Gin and Tonic DOES NOT protect against malaria

Never get complacent in Uganda. Be it about taking care of your belongings, driving along the treacherous roads or your health. I did, and am now paying the price fighting off a second bout of malaria.

After spending a weekend in Jinja a couple of weeks ago, a friend asked if I took a prophylaxis.
"Oh no," I quipped, "I'm sure the quinine in the amount of gin and tonic I supped protected me well enough."
Good quality tonic contains quinine (which glows under ultraviolet light)

It didn't. On Wednesday night, I was wiped out when I came home from school and took a long nap, which is unusual for me. On Thursday night I suffered alternately from soaring fevers and shivers that had me snuggling under the sleeping bag I used on Kili, designed for minus 15 degrees Centigrade. I estimate the real temperature to have been around plus 23 degrees.

I knew the signs too well. It was time to stop kidding myself that I had caught a friend's cold and time to take a malaria test. I crossed my fingers, but the red line still appeared.

Obviously there is never a good time to catch malaria, but this seems particularly bad. Right now, we are in the middle of writing reports, the kids start their SATS tomorrow, I had planned to go on a 60 km bike ride to Lake Albert at the weekend and we head off for the school trip to Zanzibar next Monday. Clearly there is too much to do to get sick.

There are only two good thinga about having malaria for a second time that I can think of. One is knowing how to avoid the worst parts. I demanded the anti-nausea tablets straight away, which have helped me manage the heady mix of painkillers and anti-malarials. They are the best thing ever invented, They have also saved me from having to go back and spend a day on a drip. I am very grateful for that.

The other good thing is that you know exactly which friend to call. The one who will come and get you from the surgery in a posh frock (again), cook me Heinz tomato soup, make sure I don't fall asleep before taking the next dose of pills and try her best to tell entertaining stories to a very spaced out audience. Thank you for that - I hope I never have to return the favour for you, but will do anytime you need me.

Today I am on the mend. I do have woozy moments, but I was pleased to be able to leave the house for a few hours of fresh air, good company and relaxation. I am going to work for a few hours tomorrow and will take things one step at a time.

As for the bike ride ... well let's see! Maybe a mini bike ride is on the cards instead.

No comments: