Followers

Monday 18 April 2011

A Woman's Right to Art

There is a fabulous episode of 'Sex and the City' where Carrie gets 'shoe shamed' by a friend who is married with children. When her shoes disappear from her friend's apartment, she discovers that her friend's priorities have changed. She can no longer understand how Carrie can spend $500 on a pair of Manolo Blahniks. Carrie later realises that she has spent hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on engagement presents, wedding presents and baby showers and that as a single woman, none of this is returned. Her solution is to register herself at Manolo Blahnik, in recognition of her just-announced marriage to herself. The only item that she registers for is a single pair shoes that went missing at the baby shower!

I think many single women can identify with Carrie in this episode. It is not that I resent buying presents for friends, it's just that I think I deserve the odd treat too. Some may think that I am very decadent - I am lucky enough to be able to travel to exotic or exciting destinations and have a very comfortable lifestyle. I know that when I eventually return to the UK, I will not be having fortnightly pedicures and eating out at the drop of a hat. I see nothing wrong with making the most of being here.

There are no beautiful shoe shops in Kampala, and even if there were, the delicate Blahniks would not last five minutes on our dusty roads. There is, however, a thriving art scene, and buying an original painting is reasonably affordable. A couple of months ago I fell for a David Kigozi guinea fowl picture. Today I paid the final installment and brought it home, just in time for my birthday!

1 comment:

Robyn said...

a great birthday treat.. :)