Followers

Sunday 3 April 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

If I could have just one super-power, it would be teleportation. Sure, flying or being invisible would be fun for a while, but the power to travel anywhere without any transport, cost or time implications would be amazing.

Today is Mother's Day in the UK. I was a good daughter and remembered to send a personalised card from Moonpig and some goodies from Laura Ashley, but it's not the same as being with her. I spent my morning biking on the outskirts of Kampala and the afternoon at the pool while she entertained friends in the Lake District. I wish I could have zapped myself over there for a day!

Here are a few reasons why I am so proud of my Mum:

She is selfless with her time, taking care of everyone in the family. She did an especially great job of looking after both my Grandma and my Gran in their later years.

She is a talented florist and always makes the house and garden look beautiful.

She can spot a bargain at a hundred paces and taught me how to seek out that last pair of gorgeous shoes knocked down from a hundred pounds to a tenner!

She is an awesome cook, always trying out new recipes. I am already looking forward to a carrot cake, home made jam and the odd loaf of freshly baked bread when I come home for the summer (hint hint!!)

She is patient and always keeps her calm (even with her hot-headed daughter!) She looks for the best in everybody and is a loyal friend. I can't imagine anybody every having a bad word to say about her.

She is super-organised, never losing a receipt or a set of car keys. She always knows EXACTLY where everything is ... God knows I didn't inherit that one!

She is a truly independent woman, having worked hard to help support the family (and fund her shoe and handbag habit) since the age of 15. She ran her own business for nearly ten years and got a great reputation for her work. I admire her work ethic and sense of commitment and would like to think that she has passed it on to me.

Finally, she has always supported me in everything I have done. I'm sure it can't be easy when your only daughter decides to go and live and work on a different continent, but she has never tried to stop me!

Mum - thank you for being you!

Spending time with Mum in South Africa this Christmas!

No comments: