Followers

Monday 28 February 2011

Handy Hints for Kili!

If what you have read so far has inspired you to climb Kili, rather than run away from anything mountainlike, then here are a few handy hints to help you along the way. I wish I had seen a little more practical advice before I went.

Do make sure you have matching carrier bags inside your boots!
  • Dry Sacks - Get one big dry sack to put inside your backpack that the porters carry. Also, put everything in your day pack inside some kind of waterproof bags, such as ziplock bags. My year old passport is now dog-eared and tatty and the book I took with me for the rest day never got dry and has actually grown mould. It is very embarrassing to be seen reading a mouldy book on the post-Kili safari!
  •  Crocs - I admit that I have made some quite derogatory remarks about this footwear in the past. However, I swallowed my words on the trip and borrowed my friend's crocs a lot on the trek. They are light to carry and are waterproof. They are also quick to throw on when you need to leave the hut for a wee in the middle of the night. Plus you can still get them on your feet when you are wearing multiple pairs of socks.
  • Snacks - Take a variety of savoury and sweet snacks and pack them in separate plastic bags for each day. Don't make my mistake of having the same thing each day. I don't think I will be able to face jelly tots or peanut and raisin mix for a long time. I also found the isotonic drink powders invaluable for replacing lost fluids.
  • Get fit first - We were all as fit as fiddles before setting off and this paid off on the mountain. Kili is a place to use your fitness, not a place to develop it.
  • Spare trainers - You may wish to give your feet a break from the hiking boots at times, especially on the afternoon descent following the summit day.
  • Talcum powder and wet wipes - Essentially, these items play a large role in personal hygeine on the mountain, infact the principal role! Sprinkle talc on your feet, inside your socks and boots at every opportunity. The drier your feet, the less blisters you will get. A spot of talc in the hair also stops it from looking so gross after 6 days without a wash (although I was seldom seen without a hat).
  • Thermals - at least 2 pairs of thermal trousers and 2 tops. I was pretty chilly and wished that I had a little more. Make sure you buy them in the Winter in the UK - they disappear from the shelves in summer.
  • Acclimatisation day - This optimises your chances of reaching the summit. It is seriously worth the extra cash.
  • Shower - Take a shower (at least 20 mins) wearing your waterproof gear and hiking boots before leaving. If anything leaks, sort it out before you leave. You may feel silly, but it's better than being cold and wet.
  • Carrier bags - Pack everything inside carrier bags, according to the days you think you will need the clothes on the mountain and label it. It makes packing up and getting dressed at every camp much quicker. Bring extra carrier bags to shove your sleeping bag and thermarest in when you can't be bothered to squeeze them into the little bags. Carrier bags can also be worn inside your hiking boots to keep your feet dry.
  • A positive attitude towards other climbers - I wish I could have met our own group either on the way up or down. Wish climbers luck on their way up and congratulate everyone as they descend. It makes a massive difference!
Well I am sure there are many more handy hints, but that should suffice for now. Feel free to add to the list!

No comments: