Followers

Tuesday 6 July 2010

More malaria musings ...

I see from the news that I have started a bit of a trend and that Cheryl Cole caught malaria whilst on holiday in Tanzania. I would just like to say that I got it first and I did not copy her! I also noticed that the Guardian made a big boo boo and called it a virus - I knew better, that it was a parasite, and spotted later that they had realised their error and made a correction. God I am pedantic! It seems that the rich and famous are not above diseases and that the mozzies are indifferent as to whether they occupy slums or $1000 a night lodges. I was convinced that I had been bitten in Jinja whilst staying in the backpacker spot and that nothing untoward could possibly have happened whilst staying at the beautiful, more upmarket, Ndali Lodge!
I wonder how she would have got on if she caught malaria here. She is apparently spending a week under close supervision in a private hospital and is being given 3 weeks to recover. I was given a few packets of pills and told that as long as I didn't vomit I should be fine. When I returned a couple of days later, suffering from serious dehydration, I was told 'I told you so' by the ever grumblesome doctor. She gets to recuperate in her multi-million pound mansion which sounds a whole lot better than making a dent in your foam mattress. But then I am not as important as her - I don't have such an important job as judging the X-Factor, so of course I don't get such star treatment.

1 comment:

3limes said...

Funny and so true. I have really enjoyed all your recent posts. Good to read them from London.