Followers

Wednesday 7 July 2010

A fond farewell

If you think that airports are full of displays of raw emotion, then you haven’t been to an international school at the end of the year. As the learning grinds to a stop and the games and parties commence, the children and teachers prepare themselves to say goodbye to good friends and colleagues. The end of the school year always comes with a mixture of emotions – sheer exhaustion from a year’s hard work, relief and anticipation of holidays and reunions with loved ones, coupled with the feeling of the end of an era. Primary school teachers spend all day every day with their classes and strong bonds are formed with the children. It’s an almost family like relationship – we may have a little moan about what Little Johnny did today in the confines of the staffroom, but woe betide anybody else who dares to criticise Little Johnny!
Today was no exception. Even though we broke up at noon on a Wednesday, this week has seemed to drag on forever. The classroom has been stripped bare, we’ve played sports, painted and attempted to watch dvds – technology permitting. I have been lucky enough to receive well thought out gifts and cards with kind words about me. One letter in particular really upset me. I have a boy in my class who has a smile that would melt your heart. He loves nothing better than dancing and playing with his friends and has a heart the size of Lake Victoria. But … he can’t really sit still for very long and he can always find something else to do in class to avoid his work. His mum is an extremely busy lady, as the headmistress of a local school and his father is a well known pastor in Kampala. They mean well, but their methods are somewhat Victorian. This letter thanked me and blessed me for the work I had done with their child, before it went on to say that his behaviour was ‘the devil’s work’ and that she hoped that ‘God will reform him’. When I read this letter, I wished that somebody could reform his parents' views and help them say kind words to praise him and boost his self-esteem. However, I had to read the letter and carry on, with a smile pasted upon my face. On the same day, I received a touching card from a student, thanking me for boosting her confidence throughout the year. As always in this life I live, the lows balanced out with the highs.
This year, nobody in my class is leaving, but each year we say goodbye to students as they return to their home countries or embark on new adventures in unknown countries and continents. The children in our school are extremely resilient. They form new friendships quickly and always welcome newcomers with open arms. When they say goodbye, floods of tears are shed … but they recover quickly and continue with their lives.
We are also saying farewell to friends and colleagues today. No doubt more tears will be shed as we share memories and watch slideshows and videos recalling the past couple of years. I am saying goodbye to my flatmate and from August, will be living alone and hoping that somebody else will be there to rescue me from any scary rodents and to share a glass of wine at the end of a bad day. Our school will lose some very hardworking individuals who make it a better place. Meanwhile, we will also lose some close friends who have shared the experience that is Kampala with us over the past year or two.
I wish everyone who is leaving the best of luck. You will all be greatly missed and I hope that we can stay in touch. xxx

No comments: