Followers

Friday 21 January 2011

Umuganda in Uganda?

With just three and a half weeks until Kili, it’s really time to step things up a gear. Even though I have done something almost every day, I am driving myself slightly mental with worries over the training. If I go for a walk, then I panic about whether it will get me fit enough to get up the mountain, but if I go for a swim or a bike ride, then I start worrying about whether my boots will be broken in sufficiently for the super long walk.
One thing about walking is that you have more time to take in your surroundings than when you run or bike past.  While it’s great to see daily life up close, it’s not always a bed of roses. The amount of litter and the way rubbish is dealt with here in Uganda is disgusting me. TIA is not an excuse – Nairobi city centre has litter bins AND people actually use them. Rwanda has something called Umuganda, which is a monthly community service where every adult resident is expected to make some sort of contribution, including taking to the streets and picking up litter. There is a now notorious story of when our secondary school kids went to Bukoto market to clean up some of the rubbish and found … wait for it … a rotting, dead dog! Yesterday, we literally held our noses and ran as we passed a stinking tip of burning rubbish. I pay 10 000 Shillings a month for my refuse collection, but have no idea what happens to it afterwards. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is loaded onto the truck and just dumped on one of the numerous tips in and around the city.
In school, we have a constant battle to get the kids to pick up their litter responsibly. Little wonder they leave a trail of snack wrappers behind them when they see adults throw their litter on the street or out of matatu taxi windows on a daily basis.
The other day I heard an interview on the radio with a politician and they were discussing the subject of litter bins in the city. The politician seemed to think that Ugandans wouldn’t bother using them, even if they were there. When is Uganda going to wake up to the fact that this litter is not just unattractive, but harmful to the environment and health of the people?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. It is one of the things I find most disheartening here and feel repeatedly disgusted when I find a snack wrapper or juice box on the floor at school. It is very hard to change this but I try everyday.

Anonymous said...

Misleading headline - I thought Umuganda was kids drink imported from the Congo.

Unknown said...

What experience Ali!! I am not sure whether umuganda (in Rwanda) which is done once a month is the only thing that keeps Kigali city as beautiful as it is. May be we should also acknowledge the everyday commitment to not litter any how anywhere. My recent discussion from some of the people from Rwanda is that, umuganda is a forceful practice and not beneficial, what do you think about this?
Thank you

alibongo1978 said...

Penny,
You have made me think now. I recently visited Tanzania and noticed that the streets there are also much cleaner than in Uganda. I am sure that educating people not to drop litter would help too. I guess that if something is forced upon you, then you may resent doing it and if the law changed, people would not continue to clean up the rubbish. On the other hand - at least the streets of Kigale are not full of dead dogs, burning plastic and other waste ...