Followers

Wednesday 6 October 2010

Food, glorious food ...

Mmmmm - my favourite pudding from home

I think it’s a sign of old age that my mid-week ‘hangover’ is caused not by copious glasses of wine, but by an overdose of sugar and rich food. Back in the day, I would nurse a sore head and swear I would never touch another drop again ... until the next time. Yesterday, as pay day FINALLY arrived – yes there was far too much month left at the end of this pay cheque, a friend and I treated ourselves to a slap-up meal. Home-made bread, delicious pasta followed by the best sticky toffee pudding since the one that comes from Cartmel in the Lake District. But the real laugh of the night came from a different source. I have always enjoyed perusing menus in foreign parts in order to take in the linguististic boo boos. Here was no exception – the menu offered ‘Square spaghetti’ which must be a specialty the Italians haven’t even thought of. Then there was the ‘Pasta Surprise – made according to the chef’s mood’ – well if my experiences of the world of waitressing and hospitality are anything to go by, then this should be avoided at all costs. I wouldn’t like to imagine what Gordon Ramsey would cook up in a fiery temper – maybe I’ll take the risk next time though!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to know where you can get sticky toffee pudding in Kampala!

alibongo1978 said...

Mamba Point restaurant - am gonna go just for dessert one day. Oh and the chef wants to put offal in the pasta when he's in a GOOD mood - what the hell does he put in if he's in a bad mood? Spider legs and bat wings I should think!