Followers

Thursday 30 September 2010

A more triumphant triathlon


Our sporty school staff

I am not genetically designed to be a natural sportswoman. In my family, extreme sports constituted the competition to complete The Sunday Times crossword before noon – so all of these energetic pursuits of mine don’t really fit.


Last year, the triathlon was really a bit of a disaster for me. I freaked out in the murky waters of Lake Victoria and was worn out with exhaustion before I even got on the bike. Nevertheless, the team spirit on the day made me want to give it another try. I got a team together and decided to do the bike ride. This was one of my better ideas! As I saw my team mate swimming towards the shore, I fixed my helmet on and sprinted (Phoebe from Friends style if the photos are believed) towards my bike. In the Botanical Gardens I saw that a friend had bike problems and I had a dilemma. It’s not that I wasn’t willing to help – more that there probably wasn’t much I could do and I didn’t really want to give up my own race. I carried on, with a few pangs of guilt for my friend. The route takes you through the gardens, along the lakeshore and around the airfield and even includes a scary dark tunnel under the runway. I was flying along and passed out a fair few cyclists on the way. The dreaded 30 km passed in a breeze and I loved hearing the cheers of my friends as I passed the finishing line only to find out that not only was I the second female cyclist back but also the fastest woman on a bike! Who’d have thought it eh!


All the competitors
 
Somehow I managed to wear my helmet in the style of a French beret, perched loosely on my head!
 


No comments: