Followers

Monday 8 September 2008

White Water rafting on the Nile




Today I am a little sore around the arms, a bit bruised and battered and have 2 very sun burnt knees because my suncream clearly wasn't as waterproof as it was supposed to be. Well I thought I had been rafting in Colombia - but this is nothing compared to yesterday's adventure. We set off to Jinja, which is the source of the Nile to go on a whole day rafting. Apparently it is in the top 3 places to do white water rafting in the world and I can see why. It's such a shame that they are building a dam right now, so it will come to the end and make a huge eyesore as well. So there were 5 of us and we felt very sorry for the poor Swedish bloke who got stuck in a boat with us weaklings who were too weak to drag ourselves back into the boat when were tipped out and spent the whole day hauling us lot in!! We went through full on grade 4 and 5 rapids, we were tipped and thrown in every direction. At one point I got thrown out, I lost the boat and was hurtling downstream the Nile at full pelt - next stop Egypt I thought!! I struggled to understand the Kiwi instructor as I wondered what I was supposed to lift until I realised he actually meant left. The scenery was totally stunning - the river is so vast and all you can see is trees, hills, an immense blue sky and all the wildlife. We saw massive lizards, eagles flying over us and loads of different birds I'd never seen before. There were points where we just floated down and it was so tranquil. Then the guy in the rescue boat, who must've been incredibly strong, rowed all 4 boats for about half an hour, so we just lay back and basked in the sun. I think the other people in the boat must've been a bit worried about the future of the kids we're educating. Kelly made a few classic quotes - especially when she said the the instructor 'Have you done this before?' errr we hoped so (think she actually meant which other places, but never mind) and 'What does sugar cane taste like?' errrr probably sugar love - what do you think? So you will be glad to know that I am no longer the dizziest blond. I slept very well last night, being totally exhausted from the day.

No comments: