Followers

Saturday 6 September 2008

School has started now and the kids have been in for 3 days now. All I can say about my class is WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Am wondering to myself when they are going to stop being so polite, articulate, helpful and nice and start behaving like normal kids and start knocking seven bells out of each other and so on. Feel like am on one of those training videos they show you when you're training to teach and the kids come out with all the right answers and nobody starts messing about or anything - very strange. I gave my top reading group books just a bit higher than my top kids in Colombia had at the end of the year - only to discover they read them 2 years ago - whoops! We are having a bit of a nightmare with the planning and paperwork though and spending very long days in school. Apparently last year there were 4 different people teaching in the year group - including an American who just got up in the middle of the night once and left the country - it's all a bit of a mystery. Also, there is a ridiculous procedure for getting hold of any resources where you have to sign things out - and there is about a 4 minute window for that each day, otherwise you're screwed.
I don't know if any of you heard but there is an old king of Jinja who died last week, so we have a national day of mourning on Monday - otherwise known as a public holiday - hooray!!!! So to treat ourselves, a group of us are heading to Jinja tomorrow to the source of the Nile to go white water rafting - yayyyyy!!!!! I can't wait.

No comments: