Followers

Wednesday 9 November 2011

The Umeme Regime

Open any celebrity magazine and you are guaranteed to find some kind of special diet or other - Raw Food, Blood Type, Detox, Atkins and many more. For the past few months I have been following the Umeme Diet. I suspect that a few of my friends have been doing the same thing. Let me tell you about it. Principally, there are two kinds of days, power and non-power, which usually alternate. Occasionally, I am rewarded by two power days in a row, but that should never be taken for granted. Here are a few examples of some of the types of food you may eat on each of the days.

Power Days
For breakfast, you can make smoothies, have a cup of tea or even a slice of toast
For dinner, choose any hot food you desire (and can find in the shops in Kampala) - pasta dishes, soup, roasted veggies ... the list is endless
Quick snacks may include beans on toast or eggs to your liking
Hot beverages
Baking cakes, scones or desserts

Non Power Days
Breakfast is limited to cereal with slightly warm UHT milk, fruit, water or fruit juice, bread if it hasn't gone stale
Unlimited amounts of fruit
Dinner choices include salad, cereal (as per breakfast), sandwiches, or any leftovers if you were smart enough to cook a lot on a power day

Non Power days are testing and often result in going out for dinner or ordering in. Luckily ordering in is not such a temptation, since the lack of street names makes it particularly difficult for any delivery services to actually find me.

I'm living in the hope that there is an end in sight to this horrible diet, if not by non power days being eradicated, at least by the addition of a gas cylinder. I'm not holding my breath though ...

No comments: