Followers

Thursday 26 August 2010

Fetch the dunce cap!

It's a long time since I have put pen to paper and I think I may be suffering from that 'Summer holiday fall back' syndrome. For those of you who are not teachers, I am talking about the way that kids drop back a bit over the summer holiday, forgetting how to pick up a pencil or how to use a protractor.
For five and a half blissful weeks, all I have had to think about is whether I'm getting tan lines on a beach. The biggest stress in my life was deciding whether I should spend my money on a new camera or a laptop. Major decisions consisted of which pudding I should have off a menu or whether I should have a glass of wine or a beer.
Then, with little warning, we are catapulted back into our working lives. We always give the kids a few days to get used to the routines and to tune their brains in again, while we are expected to go from naught to sixty in less than a nanosecond. Moving classrooms, backing walls, planning, collecting resources and a neverending 'To do' list. On top of that, I have just moved house, have boxes everywhere and still haven't found my hairdryer ... normal service will be resumed soon.

No comments: