Followers

Sunday 2 May 2010

Come on Blackpool!

Ugandans are passionate about Premier League football. Speak to the average man on the street, and he will be able to tell you all about his favourite team, the players and the results of the last few major matches. When Arsenal or Manchester United score, a massive cheer erupts that resonates up and down bars along the road. Ashley Coles’ extra-marital affairs and Rooney’s poorly ankle and groin make for lively discussion on the Ugandan radio breakfast shows in the mornings. When you meet a Ugandan guy for the first time, the conversation goes something like this:
Ugandan: Where are you from?
Me: The North West of England.
Ugandan: Which town?
Me: Blackpool
Ugandan: I’ve never heard of that. Where is it near?
Me: Manchester
Ugandan: Ohhhhh – Manchester United
If the guy then says he supports Man U, I will usually follow this up with
Me: Of course you support man U – you aren’t from Manchester!
I can’t profess to feeling the same way. I never really have. I wasn’t brought up in a football house, as I have no brothers and sisters, my Mum thinks it’s too noisy and my Dad is just too cricket-mad to care about football. But this morning, as I was browsing the newspapers online, I spotted that if Blackpool wins the next match, they will be in the play-offs for the Premiership. This is amazing news. OK, I can’t name a single player and I don’t know what matches have been won and lost over the past … hmmmm decade? Century? Whatever! But in football, as in life, I generally support the underdog. I know that they must have worked very hard to get from the fourth division some years ago to the Championship and I applaud that effort and admire the support of any loyal fans. Only this week, a Kenyan boy (and Arsenal supporter) in my class asked what team I supported and I replied Blackpool. He then asked what colour they wore, and I told him, in no uncertain terms, that it was tangerine and most definitely not orange!
I would love to see them in the Premiership. I would be proud to drum up a bit of support around here and to finally replace the Cheslea, Liverpool and Manchester United posters that adorn the walls of the bars here. Best of luck boys!

No comments: